Monday, May 13, 2013

The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima (The Heir Chronicles, #2)

"Why do you think it was your fault?" Nick asked gently.
"They were trying to help me. If it hadn't been for me, they would still be alive."
"Perhaps that was their choice, not yours."

[Click here to see my review of book 1: The Warrior Heir]

I've done it again. I've managed read another sequel before reading the first book. If any amount of *headdesk*-ing could fix this, I would be all over that. I hate reading sequels before the original! I didn't even realize it until after I finished it and was trying to figure out if there were more. Well, now I'm on the waiting list for the first book at the library. Here's to hoping I get it soon!

Seph has always known that he was a wizard. Raised by a sorcerer, he was taught all about the Weir guilds. He learned about sorcerers, enchanters, warriors, and seers. However, he never learned nearly as much as he wanted about his own class. His foster mother, Genevieve, didn't trust them. The same went for nearly all of those in one of the "lesser" guilds. Wizards are known for their treachery and their want of power.

This lack of knowledge about his heritage has also left Seph with another sever disadvantage: lack of control. He is shuffled around from school to school after each "incident" that seems to follow him. This is what finally lands Seph in the Havens, a boy's school for troubled cases. At first, Seph is almost excited when he learns that his headmaster is also a wizard and many of the other students are Weir as well, but it isn't long before Seph gets on the headmaster's bad side.

Secluded from all other society, Seph has to wage a battle against a force that's much more skilled than himself and darker than he could have anticipated. The headmaster becomes a powerful enemy that Seph is deeply unequipped to battle. And worse- his evil isn't contained to the Havens. No, the headmaster and his accomplices have much bigger plans than that.

Even though my enthusiasm for this book was dampened upon the realization that it wasn't the first book in the series, it didn't change how deeply I enjoyed it. Who doesn't love a good story combined with powerful magic? It has everything you could want in a good, magical fantasy. The darkness is deep and the stakes are high. I was on the edge of my seat throughout and could hardly put it down.

I absolutely can't wait to read The Wizard Heir's prequel, as well as any and all sequels Cinda Williams Chima has in store afterward.

Rating: ★★★★★

He paused, as if expecting a reaction, but Seph said nothing. He'd always found that he learned more if he kept quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! What did you think?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository