Friday, June 7, 2013

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke (Inkworld, #3)

But even the unicorns of fantasy had to die. Innocence doesn't live long in any world.

[Click here for my reviews of book 1: Inkheart and book 2: Inkspell]


I'll go ahead and admit it: I was terrified to read this book. I knew it was going to be good. I knew it was going to be the epic conclusion the trilogy needed, but I had just had my heart ripped out by Inkspell and I wasn't too eager to have that happen again. So I waited a few months (about 3, if we're counting) to let my heart heal a bit, then finally found the strength to open up the conclusion.

After the harrowing ordeals of Inkspell, the Inkworld is in chaos. Meggie watches as her father takes on the mantle of the Bluejay as if it had always been a part of him, while Farid drives himself into the ground in his attempts to save Dustfinger. Everything is in turmoil and she is at a loss on how to help. She begins to feel that maybe Mo had been right after all, maybe the Inkworld was more dangerous than she had allowed herself to believe.

But just as she begins to believe it is time for them to go home, Mo realizes that they may not be able to go home after all. Their presence in the Inkworld has cause innumerable ripples that they could never have foreseen. His presence in particular has set the course in a direction he never intended and now he has to rectify the situation or Death will take not only his life, but Meggie's as recompense. The stakes have never been higher, both for himself and the daughter he cherishes. Now it's up to him to stop the motion that he has started.

There's nothing more satisfying than reaching the well-written conclusion of a trilogy that so effectively captures the reader: mind, body, and soul. That was exactly what Cornelia Funke managed with this stunning final installment. I really cannot say enough how perfectly she tied up all the loose ends and drew us to an end that was perfect for the story, even though there were both tears and giggles along the way, and not everything turned out exactly how the reader might have wanted it.

I really admire it when the author manages to give the book (and series) the ending it needs while not making it the "happily ever after" the reader is always begging to get. It's an ending that is realistic in saying that the story has come to an end, but not everyone got exactly what they hoped for and some of the characters will be scarred forever.

If I keep raving about this book, I will end up spoiling more of it for you than I care to do, so I'll leave it at this: READ THIS BOOK! And if you haven't read its predecessors: READ THOSE TOO! They will absolutely be worth your time and effort.

Rating: ~★★★★★~

The Inkworld had taught her to see her own world more clearly and reminded her of something Mo had said long ago: "I think we should sometimes read stories where everything's different from our world, don't you agree? There's nothing like it for teaching us to wonder why trees are green and not red, and why we have five fingers instead of six." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! What did you think?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository