Wednesday, December 11, 2013

GNW: Me & My Brothers, Vol. 1 by Hari Tokeino

I picked up the first volume of Me & My Brothers while perusing the graphic novel shelves of the Teen section at my local library. They have quite a bit of manga (pronounced: mah-nga), so I've been trying to find some new series' to check out. I picked this one up after a few failed attempts at finding something I like and didn't even read it until it was a day overdue. (Sorry, librarians!)

When fourteen year-old Sakura's grandmother dies, she's all alone. The old woman was the only family she had- or so she thought. When she comes home to a house full of boys, she quickly learns that she has had four step-brothers the entire time and now they're here to take care of her. After the death of their mother, most of them had been split up between relatives, but these boys are more than ready to come back together for their baby sister. That is, if she'll have them.

Remember, manga is read from right to left.
Filled with family drama and adorable sibling relationships, I really enjoyed Me & My Brothers. As much as I love manga, I do have quite a hard time dealing with the inherent sexism particularly displayed in shoujo (manga written specifically for heterosexual women--see what I mean?). Therefore, I tend to lean more heavily toward the ones where the sexism is a little more subtle so I can enjoy the story and the artwork more fully.

I love Sakura and her brothers. Her brothers are protective and do everything they can to make their baby sister happy and she tries her best to do the same for them. They're all doing their best to become a family after having been torn apart so long ago and each has to figure out exactly what that looks like for them.

I definitely enjoyed the first volume and have already picked up volumes 2 and 3 from the library. I definitely recommend this one to manga readers as well as those who would like to dabble in the genre. (Also, for those of you who have read or watched Fruits Basket, you'll notice that Kyo and Ayame seem to have practical dopplegangers in the form of two of her brothers, which greatly amused me.)


Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! What did you think?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository