Monday, August 5, 2013

Gustav Gloom and the People Taker by Adam-Troy Castro (Gustav Gloom, #1) [Illustration by Kristen Margiotta]

Again, Fernie wanted to stamp her foot. "But that doesn't explain anything! Shadows can't run around by themselves!"
"Who says they can't?"
The simple question swept Fernie's legs out from under her. Because as it turned out, she didn't have an answer. She couldn't remember anybody in her life ever telling her what a shadow could or couldn't do; not even her father, who knew fourteen ways television sets could explode if you changed channels too quickly.

I picked up Gustav Gloom and the People Taker at the Paris Shakespeare & Company last December. For Christmas, my parents pretty much let us buy our own gifts and then wrap them so we'll have things under the tree in the morning. This was one of the lovely volumes I chose, because it's cover drew me in and the synopsis told me this would be a very interesting book indeed.

When Fernie What and her family move into a new neighborhood, Fernie is not impressed. She has moved into an ugly Fluorescent Salmon colored house in a typical suburban neighborhood. While this suits Fernie's father, who happens to be a professional worrier, it dismays the What sisters, who are the complete opposite of their father and relish the scary and the dangerous.

So when Fernie What meets Gustav Gloom, the boy who lives in the spooky mansion next door, she is more than elated. But when her cat wanders into Gloom Mansion and she follows suit, she soon finds herself in over her head. Gustav's home is more dangerous, and more magical, than she could have ever imagined. Gustav is eager to usher her out, but his house is bigger on the inside and filled with strange dangers that stand between the two children and Fernie's only way of escape. And at the top of the list of dangers is the People Taker, who has set his eye on Fernie as his next victim.

I really enjoyed this book. Adam-Troy Castro did a wonderful job in weaving a dark children's tale that had this twenty-one year old enthusiastically captivated all the way through. Every child loves to be a little frightened every once in a while and this story gives you just enough fear and just enough of a fantastic element to keep readers of all ages dying to know what happens next and, when they've turned the last page, eager to hear more of Fernie and Gustav's adventures together.

Let's not forget about those stunning illustrations. Kristen Margiotta's beautiful styling of the characters and the Gloom Mansion draws you in just as completely as the story itself. They're the perfect complement to this story, mixing in that gothic element in with the very magical and fantastic bits.

I adored this book. It really had me hooked. You should absolutely go find a copy for yourself as soon as you get the chance. I would especially suggest this for Neil Gaiman fans. It was a very similar style to a few of the lovely works I've read of his, which only elevates it in my mind.

Rating: ~★★★★★~

"It must be scary living here." 
"Sometimes. But it's like I told you: I'm used to it. I guess it's another reason why I never really tried to do anything about the People Taker before he snatched all those people on your side of the fence. It just didn't seem all that unusual to me. Monsters, people takers, beasts, dangerous rooms . . . they're all just things I've grown up with."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! What did you think?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository