Monday, September 9, 2013

The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
"You look like a boy who has eaten the fruit of the tree of knowledge and doesn't like the taste." 
Jack studied the old man, hunting for any sign of wizardry. He was aware of a bright intelligence, nothing more. 
Nick was watching him keenly. "How are you, Jack?"
"Just great," Jack snapped. "I'm lying to my mother, going against doctor's orders, and being hunted by wizards. Matter of fact, when I'm not being hunted by wizards, I'm hanging out with them." 

After reading book two in this series (The Wizard Heir) before I realized it was a sequel, I eagerly anticipated reading the first book. However, the library had quite the waiting list and I only managed to get my hands on it recently. Of course, I dove into it, eagerly anticipating more of the world I had been introduced to in its sequel and excited to see Jack's backstory, which had been heavily hinted at in The Wizard Heir.

At sixteen, Jack is a semi-popular soccer jock who has had to take heart medication every day for as long as he can remember and whose greatest concern is dodging his obsessive ex and trying to catch the eye of the new girl. That is, of course, until he forgets to take his heart medication one day. Instead of the myriad of things he had expected to go wrong, he realizes that he feels stronger and more powerful.

It's not until Jack's Aunt Linda comes into town for a visit that he finds out what's really going on with him. He learns he's a Warrior, one of the five guilds of the Weir and the rarest. As if this wasn't more than enough information to send him reeling, he discovers that he is being hunted by Wizards, who have a long history of oppressing the other guilds and forcing Warriors to fight their battles for them. But Jack was born a Wizard, turned Warrior by the tampering of another, and that fact might be the one thing that can save his life, or at least prolong it.

When I started reading The Warrior Heir, I was a little worried that I wouldn't be as interested in this book because I already knew how a good portion of it would end up. As I've already mentioned, the second book heavily hints at the contents of this one and I was worried that would spoil it for me. Thankfully, it did not.

I really loved this book! Jack is an intensely relatable character and the type you can sympathize with right off the bat (or at least, I could). He takes each challenge as it comes and faces them head-on, though not without a fair amount of fear. His determination to do what he sees as right and to protect the people he cares about immediately endeared me to him.

Cinda Williams Chima does a wonderful job weaving a tale filled with believable characters and a plot that had me biting my nails even though I knew a great deal of how it would turn out. Her concept of magic and the way the guilds work is original and captivating. I'm already immensely pleased that she decided to expand the storyline, taking it from the trilogy it was originally meant to be to a full-blown series. I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us next.

Rating: ★★★★★

[Click here to see my review of book 2: The Wizard Heir]

They fought because they loved the dance, and the weight of the sword in their hands. The clash and spark of metal and hiss of flame was like music written just for them. They fought for glory, but not for blood. They were Weirlind, heirs of the warrior's stone. And they always slept better with blades beneath their beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! What did you think?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository