Wednesday, November 20, 2013

GNW: The Adventures of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks

It appears I have become absolutely addicted to the wonderful works of Faith Erin Hicks and I am so okay with that.

The Adventures of Superhero Girl is a story about a girl who has decided to fight crime in her Canadian college town. Written in a comic strip format and originally showcased online, this graphic novel follows our heroine as she deals with day-to-day life as a superhero: fighting ninjas, kicking ass, living under the shadow of her perfect super heroic older brother, and all sorts of skeptics who are more than willing to give their opinion on how she ought to do things (whether she wants to hear them or not).

Infused with the witty humor we've come to expect and love from Hicks, The Adventures of Superhero Girl is also a lovely insight into growing up and finding your path in life, all mixed in with the greatness of fighting crime.


I'm not at all surprised that I loved this graphic novel. Not only do I adore Faith Erin Hicks's writing style and artwork, but I desperately adore superheroes (DC Comics nerd, right here). So when I heard she had created this particular comic, I was more than a little eager to get my hands on it. It didn't disappoint.

As I mentioned above, I love her humor. That, added to a realistic but whimsical look at life through the eyes of a disillusioned twenty-something, is exactly what you receive when you open up this volume. I adored everything about it and hopefully we'll see more of Superhero Girl in the future!

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! What did you think?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository