Monday, January 23, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


"But I couldn't see it again, and it occurred to me that the voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because there is always the thought that everything might be done better and again."

I've just finished reading The Fault in Our Stars by the amazingly talented John Green and, to be honest, I'm not sure what to say. I'm left in a sort of stunned speechlessness. There were so many beautiful, heart-wrenching moments and captivating scenes that I don't know how to put my awe into words.

I suppose I have to, though. Otherwise, we have no point in my writing this review.

The Fault in Our Stars is about Hazel and it's about Augustus: two teenagers who are grappling with mortality and meaning something in a world that is so quick to forget all but what is right in front of it.

You see, Hazel has cancer. She suffers from "lungs that suck at being lungs". It originally showed up in her thyroid and spread to her lungs. It's not a matter of saving her life, but lengthening it. The cancer will claim it one way or another.

Then she meets Augustus Waters, a handsome boy who is intelligent, wonderful, and a cancer survivor. He falls for everything about her and wants to sweep her off her feet, but Hazel is scared. She doesn't want to hurt anyone else. She knows she's going to leave this world and she doesn't want to scar anyone else with her absence.

That's what The Fault in Our Stars is about. It's about affecting the people we love, for better or worse. It's about coming of age in a world that seems to have turned against you. It's about learning to love, even when it's the scariest thing possible and doesn't seem at all practical.

This is a book that will tear you apart and make you hope again, all in one beautiful story. I suggest running to the bookstore and getting this prize immediately.

Rating: ★★★★★

"I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."

1 comment:

  1. Another amazing book by John Green. I never really had a favorite author before but after reading Looking For Alaska, tbh he'll always be on top of the list. and when this book came out on 10th Jan this year (Flipkart, i wish we could pre-order it)i H A D T O read it. even though i really liked the book, but i think Looking For Alaska was 10% better, but nonetheless, it's a good book you can't miss it! and DFTBA, Nerdfighters! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! What did you think?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository