Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Library of Unrequited Love by Sophie Divry

I had heard about The Library of Unrequited Love from a few different people before I bought it, but even after I did, it sat on my shelf for at least a good year. I'm not sure why. It's only 91 pages, hardly anything daunting, but it somehow managed to get overlooked in those times that I was looking for something new to read. That is, until a few days ago.

It took me no time at all to read this lovely little book and I really enjoyed it. Translated from French, it is an unusual book. Instead of the usual first person or third person narrative, The Library of Unrequited Love is written in second person. The librarian, our protagonist, is talking to you, someone who fell asleep in the library and managed to get locked in overnight. I've never read a book written like this and it was incredibly delightful.

As for the story itself, I also enjoyed it much more than I realized I would. The librarian is a very opinionated woman, who is ready to tell us everything that's wrong with the library, everything that's right with it, and why exactly a patron by the name of Martin has captured her keen attention. I agreed with some things she said and disagreed with others, but I did really enjoy every second of it. Sophie Divry's writing is clean and captivating, making you turn the pages in rapt attention from beginning to end.

If you're looking for a quick, interesting read, this is a great choice.

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! What did you think?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository